close
close

What was Nick Carter accused of? All the accusations against him

Nick Carter has come under the spotlight over the past few years as he has been embroiled in allegations of sexual assault from three women.

The Backstreet Boys star was first accused of rape in 2017 by singer Melissa Schuman, who alleged that the singer attacked her when she was 18 and he was 22. Although Carter denied the claims, he was reunited with her in August 2023 accused of rape when the reason was known because AR had filed a lawsuit against him in connection with an incident that occurred in 2003.

One of Carter’s former fans, Shannon Ruth, filed a lawsuit against the singer accusing him of sexual battery in December 2022. Like the other two women, Ruth claimed that she was a virgin at the time of the incident and that she contracted HPV after.

“This claim about an event that allegedly occurred more than 20 years ago is not only legally baseless, but also completely untrue,” Michael Holtz, Carter’s lawyer, said in a statement at the time.

He added: “Unfortunately, Ms Ruth has been manipulated into making false allegations against Nick for several years – and these allegations have changed repeatedly and significantly over time. “No one should be fooled by a press stunt orchestrated by an opportunistic lawyer… there is nothing to this claim that we have no doubt the courts will quickly realize.”

Now Carter’s alleged victims are speaking out in Investigation Discovery documentaries Fallen Idols: Nick and Aaron Carter.

From what he was accused of to his reaction, here’s everything you need to know about the allegations against Nick Carter.

What is Nick Carter accused of?

Melissa Schuman attends TheWrap’s Power Women Summit on November 1, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. ; Nick Carter at the premiere of Gravitas Ventures’ “Backstreet Boys: Show ‘Em What You’re Made Of” on January 29, 2015 in Hollywood, California.

Presley Ann/Getty; Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty


In November 2017, Carter was accused of rape by Schuman. The former member of the girl band Dream detailed on her personal blog that when she was 18 and Carter was 22, he invited her to his house on a day off from filming, after which he took her to the bathroom, where they began kissing.

She alleged that he unzipped her pants and performed oral sex on her, before taking her to his bedroom, where he allegedly forced himself on her, despite her insistence that she was a virgin and wanted to save herself for marriage.

“He was relentless and didn’t take my ‘no’ for an answer. It was heavy, too heavy to get out from under,” she wrote. “Then I felt like he had put something inside me. I asked him what it was and he whispered in my ear again, “It’s all me, baby.” ”

Carter, in a statement to PEOPLE, denied her claims, saying he was “shocked” and “saddened” by the accusations.

“Melissa never told me when we were together or at any other time because anything we did was not consensual,” he said. “Then we recorded a song and performed together, and I have always respected and supported Melissa both personally and professionally.”

Although Schuman was unable to bring charges against Carter at the time of her initial accusations due to California’s previous 10-year statute of limitations, she filed her lawsuit in April 2023 after the law changed earlier this year.

In December 2022, Carter was sued by Ruth, who accused him of sexual assault. She claimed that she was in line for autographs for the Backstreet Boys after a concert in Tacoma, Washington in 2001, when Carter invited her to join his tour bus.

Ruth added that the singer allegedly offered her a “VIP juice” that she believed contained alcohol – although he claimed it was just cranberry juice – and took her to his bathroom, where he allegedly demanded that she perform oral sex on him. Ruth claimed that the attack continued in his bedroom.

Ruth added that she was also a virgin at the time and contracted HPV after the interaction. Carter’s lawyer denied the allegations in a statement to PEOPLE.

A third woman, who uses the initials AR in her lawsuit, accused Carter of rape, alleging that multiple incidents occurred when she was 15 years old. She detailed one in which Carter allegedly sexually assaulted her on a yacht, claiming he “instructed” her to keep it a “secret.”

In a separate case that also occurred on the yacht, she claimed that Carter “knowingly provided her with alcohol and drugs” and “lured three other men” to watch her “engage in sexual intercourse with a then-minor AR from the point of view of an outside window in the cabin of Carter’s yacht.

Like Ruth, AR claimed that Carter infected her with the HPV virus. She said she told her mother about the incident and reported it to Southern York County, Pennsylvania, law enforcement at the time. At the time the lawsuit was filed, she was seeking $15,000 in damages.

In a statement to PEOPLE, Carter’s attorney, Dale Hayes, called the allegations “false” and said he was “pleased” with the timing of the motion so that they could litigate their “co-conspirators” at the same time.

“When AR first accused Nick Carter almost two decades ago, authorities listened and thoroughly investigated, and then informed AR that her allegations were without merit,” he said. “And now he’s doing it again. “However, repeating the same false allegations in a new legal complaint no longer makes them true, Nick looks forward to presenting the evidence and bringing to light the truth about these malicious plans.”

What did Nick Carter say about the accusations?

Nick Carter performs live on the Honda Stage at the iHeartRadio Theater in Los Angeles on September 30, 2016.

Kevin Winter/Getty


Carter denied all allegations and filed a counterclaim against the women. After Ruth filed her lawsuit in December 2022, Carter responded with a lawsuit filed in February 2023 against both her and Schuman.

He alleged that the two women took advantage of the #MeToo movement to launch a five-year conspiracy to “defame and slander Carter and otherwise ruin his reputation in order to gain attention and fame and/or extort money from Carter,” according to the lawsuit. obtained by PEOPLE.

The lawsuit called Ruth and Schuman “opportunists” who set out to “destroy innocent people’s lives” because it allegedly cost Carter more than $2.3 million in business losses after the December indictment.

Carter also claimed he had never met Ruth before and that Schuman and her father “raised” Ruth, who suffers from autism and cerebral palsy, as “a sensitive and highly impressionable person, craving attention and desperately trying to fit in.”

Ruth then filed a motion to dismiss Carter’s lawsuit, but a month later a Nevada judge ruled the lawsuit could proceed.

What stage are the lawsuits against Nick Carter currently at?

Nick Carter appears in court during a hearing at the Regional Justice Center on March 29, 2023, in Las Vegas.

Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Tribune News Service/Getty


As of August 2023, a Las Vegas judge ruled that Carter could continue his defamation lawsuit against Schuman, citing sufficient evidence to proceed. In May 2024, Carter filed a motion for trial and asked the court to enter summary judgment on Ruth’s claims “for sexual battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent infliction of emotional distress.”

Carter argued that the attack on Ruth was “virtually impossible” and presented evidence disputing her claim that the incident occurred while she was waiting in line for an autograph. The singer’s band claimed that no such line existed, while Susan Riggs, a friend of the band and Carter at the time, testified that she “personally observed Carter leave the concert hall, board a tour bus and immediately leave.”

Additionally, Carter’s lawyers argued that Ruth was unable to recall several details, including details about the alleged “VIP juice” or the time that passed between boarding the bus and allegedly going to the bathroom with Carter.

“Carter is entitled to summary judgment in this case and should not be forced to go to trial in a case in which plaintiff has failed to present even a shred of credible evidence to support her claims,” the lawsuit argued.

What have others said about the allegations against Nick Carter?

Kaya Jones on Radio Row at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards on May 15, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. ; Nick Carter in “Boy Band”.

Bryan Steffy/BMA2015/Getty; Eric McCandless/Getty


Carter’s alleged victims spoke out in the ID Fallen Idols: Nick and Aaron Carterwhich aired in late May 2024. They were joined by Kaya Jones, Carter’s ex-girlfriend from an early age and former member of the Pussycat Dolls, stating that she believed Schuman’s accusations.

In the documentary, she shared how she contacted Schuman after the 2017 accusation.

“Nick Carter was my boyfriend when I was in the Pussycat Dolls, and I saw very detailed allegations about Nick and the reaction,” Jones said in the documentary. “It made me nervous. Because it discredited that girl (Schuman). So I wanted to hear what Melissa had to say.”

Jones added that she tweeted a warning to Carter after Schuman spoke in 2017 that read: “Don’t lie to Nick. I don’t have your secrets anymore.

“I saw a young woman trying to speak and someone who thought she had more power and authority tried to silence her. I wrote it on Twitter,” she said. “It was my way of saying, ‘Don’t push it.’ because he knows what I know. He knows why I left him. So do I believe that something terrible happened to this girl? Yes. Yes.”

Carter’s attorney said in a statement to PEOPLE that the claims in the documentary are “outrageous.”

“These are the exact same outrageous claims that led us to sue this gang of conspirators,” Hayes said. “These cases are currently working their way through the legal system, and based on both the preliminary court rulings and the overwhelming evidence, we have every confidence that we will prevail and hold them accountable for spreading these lies.”