close
close

Since October 7, Israel has killed more than 700 medical workers and injured nearly 1,000

On Monday, at least two hospital workers were killed in an Israeli airstrike on a hospital in Rafah.

According to reports by the World Health Organization (WHO), Israeli forces have injured and killed hundreds of health workers in Gaza since October.

Since October 7, Israel has attacked health care facilities at least 450 times, the United Nations (UN) agency said. According to the WHO report, at least 723 health workers were killed and another 924 were injured in these and other attacks.

The attacks have severely impacted health workers’ ability to treat people who desperately need medical attention, while Israel drops bombs on Gaza, cutting off the limbs of children, burning displaced people alive, and destroying virtually all of Gaza’s health and sanitation infrastructure. All the while, Israel imposed a brutal humanitarian blockade in the region, forcing millions of Palestinians to face inevitable starvation and the rapid spread of disease in dangerously overcrowded and unsanitary IDP camps.

WHO reported that no hospitals in Gaza are currently operating at full capacity. For example, the Kuwait Hospital in Rafah was completely closed on Monday after an Israeli airstrike near its entrance killed at least two health workers.

Israeli attacks on Rafah also killed at least 45 Palestinians – many of them children – who were hiding in a Rafah IDP camp on Sunday. Another 249 were injured, many in critical condition, including people with severed limbs and severe burns. The strike occurred less than a mile from the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) medical facility.

“We are horrified by this deadly event, which shows once again that nowhere is safe,” the organization said in a social media post.

Witnesses report horrific scenes from the weekend attacks, including charred bodies, a child decapitated by an explosion and a doctor carrying a brain-damaged person.

“We had to recover dismembered limbs and dead children,” said Layan al-Fayoum, a young Palestinian teenager who survived the massacre.

Abo Sebah, a resident of a displaced persons camp who fled central Gaza in January after Israeli forces killed three of his children and a grandson, said the aim of the strike was to support Israel’s ethnic cleansing campaign, noting:

We’ve never seen any resistance fighters here. Fighters are in combat zones in eastern Rafah. Israelis only say these things to justify their actions. They want to kill the Palestinian people, expel them by force and destroy their homes.

Even amid international outrage over the massacre, Israeli forces appear to be intensifying their attacks in Rafah as tanks are reported to have rolled into the city, closing in on its center.

Israel’s bloody siege of Rafah that began earlier this month has forced nearly a million Palestinians to flee again after Israel lured them to the city under the pretense that it was a “safe zone.”

“There are a lot of attacks, smoke and dust,” said one resident Reuters. “This is death from God… (Israelis) are striking everywhere. They were tired.”

Israeli forces continued attacks even after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordered Israel to stop attacking the city. While the order is legally binding, the ICJ has no enforcement mechanism that could compel countries to comply with its decrees, and before Friday’s ruling, Israeli leaders said they would defy any order issued by the international body.

Since beginning a genocidal bombing and starvation campaign in October, Israeli forces have killed more than 36,000 Palestinians in Gaza, including 15,000 children, and injured more than 80,000 others. The death toll is likely to be much higher than currently documented, as thousands of people are missing and believed to be buried under the rubble.