Pro-Palestinian protesters during BLESSED MEETINGS that left police officers injured and 40 activists arrested

Dozens of pro-Palestinian protesters were arrested last night after activists clashed with police in Whitehall and outside Parliament.

The Metropolitan Police were forced to act after protest turnout “far exceeded organizers’ estimates” and protest group Palestine Solidarity Campaign claimed that more than 10,000 people had turned out to demand a ceasefire in Gaza.

The “vast majority” of demonstrators left the protest within the allotted time, but as the protest began to outgrow its boundaries, the thousand-strong remainder began clashing with police after roads in the heart of Westminster were temporarily closed.

The Met said 40 people were arrested for “offences including breaching the terms of the Public Order Act, obstructing a motorway and assaulting emergency workers”.

Protesters in Whitehall/clashes with police

The Met reported that 40 protesters were arrested

X/MPS Westminster

The police also confirmed that three officers were injured as a result of the brawl, and one of the officers suffered serious facial injuries after a bottle was thrown at him from the crowd.

The Met Police’s Westminster Division said officers had set a condition for the protest to end at 8pm, but several hundred activists had crossed the line despite officers “repeatedly telling them they (were) now in breach of the conditions” to end their protest.”

The “group of fugitives” then reached Bridge Street – the road leading past Big Ben to Westminster Bridge – and were detained after “continuously (refusing) to comply with conditions requiring the protest to end by 8pm” and blocking the motorway.

Police said that just before 10 p.m., “officers wearing protective gear began a series of arrests, entering the crowd and extracting people suspected of leading the separatist protest.”


Police finally managed to clear the crowd from Bridge Street

MPS Westminster

Police issued a Section 35 dispersal order, which gives officers the power to exclude a person from an area across Westminster for up to 48 hours.

Then, just before 2am, the Met announced that “all remaining protesters had been dealt with and Bridge Street had reopened”.

The Palestine Solidarity Campaign said demonstrators gathered after an Israeli rocket attack in Rafah, a city in Gaza, that killed dozens of Palestinian civilians as well as many Hamas representatives.

The group called on activists to “join us as we demand action from our government” and protested outside Downing Street, stating they were sending a message “to all political parties” of “no ceasefire and no vote” before the General’s July 4 election .

Jeremy Corbyn addressed the crowd before things got out of hand; the disgraced former Labor leader told attendees to “ask anyone who wants to hold public office, are you going to be the voice that ends the arms trade with Israel?”

The protests broke out on the same day that three Western countries – Spain, Norway and the Republic of Ireland – officially recognized the state of Palestine.

The tributes themselves came on the heels of further Israeli actions in Rafah; reacting to the news, Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer, who has faced calls from the left of his party to take a tougher stance on Israel, said: “It’s appalling to see this… I’ve been saying for some time that the Rafah offensive should not have taken place.

“I was shocked by what I saw during the night. I think any person would be shocked by what they saw. This has to end.”